One Sunday morning as I listened intently to Pastor Michael Best’s sermon from Moody Church, he shared three truths Christians should remember when they are suffering. I decided to share them here because I feel that it is not only essential to me but maybe I can encourage someone else along the way. The scripture reference was from 1 Peter 4:12-19 which states,
1 Peter 4:12-19
12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
13 But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.
14 If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory[a] and of God rests upon you.
15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler.
16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.
17 For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
“If the righteous is scarcely saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”[b]
19 Therefore let those who suffer according to God's will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good.
The three truths that we need to remember are as follows:
- 1. Rejoice- when you are suffering always have an attitude of joy. There may be times when you are insulted because of your beliefs but you are to remain joyful.
- a) You are to remain joyful because His glory will be revealed. Try not to keep your mind on the issue but instead look up at Jesus because He is the one who is faithful to see us through it.
- b) You are also to remain joyful because you are blessed because the spirit of God rests on you.
- Live Boldly-don’t be ashamed or change your perspective stand up for Christ. Our suffering shows who belongs to Jesus and who doesn’t especially our attitude during our suffering.
- Trust God- we should always remember that he is the faithful Creator who is sovereign over all. We should be willing to obey no matter the consequences. The role of suffering is to refine us and make us more like Him. We need to remember his plan for our lives is much greater than ours.
So when you are suffering just remember these three truths: rejoice, live boldly, and trust God.