Jesus The Final Word
On Sunday I listened to the sermon Jesus The Final Word from our Pastor Matt Erickson at Eastbrook Church. It was a great sermon to start new series coming from Hebrews. In this sermon he talked about 7 main facets of Jesus that were revealed in Hebrews 1:2-4. They are as follows:
- The Son who he appointed heir over all things. He is the recipient of God’s goodness and grace. Hebrews 1:2a
- Through whom he made the universe. Hebrews 1:2b
- The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being. He is the exact character of God the father. Hebrews 1:3a
- Sustaining all things by His powerful word. Hebrews 1:3b
- After He provided purification for sins. Hebrews 1:3c
- He sat down at the right hand of God. Hebrews 1:3d
- So, He became as much superior to the angels. Hebrews 1:4
Scripture Hebrews 1:1-4
In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
I believe these verses are very timely because it causes me to really look at Jesus and see Him for who He is and all that He has done. He is deserving of all the glory and all the praise. He died for my sins, his power in His word is unmatched, He is the exact character of God. He is heir over all things. I believe that these are the things that I should continue to mediate on each day. The following 3 applications were takeaways from this sermon.
- I will listen and read scripture and let it truly soak in. I want His words to sink so deep in the recesses of my mind that the words I speak are not my own but His.
- I also want to treasure the uniqueness of Christ. I want each day to be spent taking time to be overcome with the uniqueness and glory Jesus and what He has done for me.
- I want to live in light of God’s word in Jesus. I want to let the commands of change me as I read, meditate, and memorize them. I want my life to reflect who Jesus is. This is the perfect time to really be washed in the Word and let it change me
What did you learn from your sermon this week?
I love these takeaways. I will do the same. I will continue to meditate on His word and who He is. I need to know that I am always in line with what He wants for my life.
Our sermon was on Jesus feeding the 5,000. God can do so much with our small offerings.